Friday, September 4, 2015

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS


Halloween 2015

This weekend I kick off the 2015 Halloween Display. I can't believe that a year has gone by since we did the monsters.  "The Nightmare Before Christmas" is the chosen theme. It is a bit of an undertaking and I don't have long if I want to get the majority of it out by October 1. That is my traditional goal. The good news is that each year I get a little better at these sculptures, hopefully it will flow smoothly. Keep in touch to watch my progress.

The first cut is the deepest!

Oogie Boogie 


We started strong but then the rain came. Florida is famous for it. We ended up having a nasty storm. As with all of the Halloween projects it starts with it's foundation and that is Larry's job. I just lend support when needed. Besides, someone has to take the pictures right? Here is what we have so far.


Zip ties come in very handy for this project. 





This is where Oogie Boogie will live. Our flag pole will hold him nicely. The top corner of his grin will be at the top of the pole and his feet will touch the ground. In other words... He is going to be pretty big. 


Day Two (September 8)


We were finally able to finish the body frame. We had to cut some wood and sometimes skies in Florida are way to threatening for power tools (lightening capitol). I began wiring up the sculpture last night, I have the scratched up arms and hands to prove it. It would have been wise to use gloves (I recommend work gloves from home depot that are super tight) but I prefer to work without them. The body is just about ready for mud, he needs a little more weight as you can see, I will probably add more to his his love handles and a belly with wire, but some of that will be painted to make him look fatter with shadows and highlights. I will work on his head after the body is completed. I've invited my friend Ami over tonight to help mud. She has helped with these sculptures every year.  I expect my friends Vicki and Mandy will have a hand in the display somewhere along the line as well.  Dad's going to help me paint it up. I will post more pictures tomorrow.  














No comments:

Post a Comment